THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. You can read my disclosure policy here.
My first experience with a Himalayan salt scrub was at a Salt Cave in Asheville, North Carolina (you can check out their website here.) If you haven’t been to Asheville, I definitely recommend taking a trip. Great food, delicious coffee, and award-winning breweries line the downtown streets of this mountain town. Most, if not all, downtown businesses and restaurants are locally owned, farm to table, and eco-friendly. Swoon.
Asheville makes my hippie heart happy.
I could go on about Asheville forever but I will save you the rambling and get back to the Himalayan Salt Scrub that was inspired by my last visit. 🙂
Himalayan pink salt is one of the purest salts available for culinary, cosmetic and therapeutic uses. It is mined from the Khewra Salt Mine in Pakistan, which is 190 miles from the Himalayan Mountains. The salt is mined by hand, hand-crushed, hand-washed, and dried in the sun.
Benefits of Himalayan Salt
- Himalayan salts are a rich source of minerals that are beneficial for skin health by exfoliation and detoxification.
- They help to revitalize the skin by removing the dry and dead skin cells, bringing fresh new skin to the surface.
- The exfoliation process helps remove toxins and impurities from the skin while un-blocking pores and reducing inflammation.
When you combine Himalayan sea salt with healthy oils like coconut, jojoba or almond oil, you get a skin refreshing, health powerhouse body scrub.
Benefits of Jojoba Oil
- Jojoba Oil mimics the natural oils of our bodies, making it ideal for hydrating skin.
- Due to its antibacterial properties, Jojoba oil can reduce skin inflammation by killing bacteria.
- Is high is Vitamin E, which eliminates free radicals that are responsible for aging skin.
Benefits of Almond Oil
- Full of vitamin E, a powerful antioxidant that protects your skin from oxidative stress, UV radiation, and sun damage.
- It’s highly emollient, locking moisture inside the skin.
- Rich in magnesium, calcium, and zinc. These minerals overall are beneficial to skin and nails.
Coconut Oil Benefits
- Extremely moisturizing for the skin because it increases hydration and reduces water loss.
- Contains Lauric acid which is particularly good at killing bacteria, viruses, and fungi.
- Absorbs quickly, which leaves silky smooth skin.
Grapefruit Essential Oil Benefits
- Full of vitamin C, grapefruit essential oil fights against free radicals that damage our skin.
- Its antiseptic properties help the skin fight against microbial infections.
- The aroma is uplifting and relieves anxiety and stress.
Rosemary Essential Oil Benefits
- Its anti-inflammatory qualities make it a good way to reduce pain from sprains and joint aches.
- Inhaling rosemary oil reduces cortisol levels, which calms and relaxes anxiety.
- Reduces the appearance of cellulite.
Himalayan Salt Scrub Recipe
- 1 cup pink Himalayan Salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 tbsp almond or jojoba oil
- 10 drops grapefruit essential oil
- 5 drops rosemary essential oil
- 1 tbsp dried rosemary
Step 1. In a double boiler, slowly melt the coconut oil until it completely liquefies.
Step 2. Mix the Himalayan salt, dried rosemary, grapefruit essential oil and rosemary essential oil together in a small glass bowl.
Step 3. Slowly add the liquid coconut oil and Jojoba/Almond to the salt mix.
Step 4. Store in a glass jar.
Step 5. Enjoy!
Where to buy Himalayan Salt scrub ingredients.
If your local grocery or health food store does not have the Himalayan salt, coconut oil, almond or jojoba oil, Amazon has great deals. Please be very particular about the essential oils you purchase. It is very important that you buy high quality, therapeutic grade essential oils and not fragrance oils.
Thrive Market also sells natural, organic products like the ones for this scrub recipe for up to 50% off retail. They carry high-quality products that ship right to your door. You can sign up here for a 30-day trial and snag a free full-sized bag of Thrive Market non-GMO Raw Cashews, for only $1.95 shipping. Sweet.
Good Brands of Essential Oils
- Try to exfoliate once or twice a week for best results.
- Exfoliate the top layer of dead skin and leave the rejuvenated, healthy skin underneath. This is especially good during the dry, winter months.
- Wet the skin first, apply the Himalayan salt scrub and exfoliate in a circular motion. This will give your circulation a boost and leave behind rosy, glowing skin.
- Exfoliating during a detox Epsom Salt bath will allow the benefits of Epsom salt to absorb through the skin more easily.